Monday, September 19, 2011

A Meeting With Kuwait's Emir





In 2000, Kuwait's incumbent Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmed Al Sabah was third in line when I met him for the first time. Even then he was so humble and informal that, at one point, I excused him to leave and stood up and walked four steps away when he suddenly gestured with his hand that he forgot to say something.

There was a senior royal family member seated between me and the Emir. The guest began talking to someone and I couldn’t cross him to the emir, so I sat on the sofa with the guest between me and the Emir. In his classic style, Sheikh Sabah had no problem reaching out to me from behind the back of the guest, me doing the same, and then saying a couple of words in my ears related to the subject we were discussing earlier.

I know this would’ve offended other junior sheikhs. But not this man.  Reporters and cameramen present were surprised to see Sheikh Sabah do this. Many assumed I enjoyed a personal relationship with him. Of course I didn’t and it just so happened that he was familiar with my work and seized the occasion to share information.

Kuwait’s present Emir is one of key persons who had a say in the royal family's decision to share the immense oil wealth with their people and pampering them from cradle to grave. I respect this because I know that these sheikhs could have done what Akbar Bugti and others have done and continue to do in our country: pocket all the riches from natural resources and leave their people suffer. Example: the people of Dera Bugti and many other strategic districts and towns in Pakistan.

I was checking YouTube videos and stumbled on this song, by Saudi singer Rashid al Majid, dedicated to Sheikh Sabah in January 2011 on the fifth anniversary of assuming the throne. I can understand the lyrics but the rest of you will enjoy the tunes. 

1 comment:

Your comments are welcome. Please do observe common courtesy rules. This blog is linked to PakNationalists.com and follows the same comment guidelines. The purpose of this blog is to promote the views of PakNationalists on Pakistan's domestic and foreign policy interests.